Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Galley

Now that there was a bit of light, I wanted to work on a few cosmetic things inside.  Mainly, I wanted to get the stove going, and put some doors on the cupboard.

The existing hole in the counter top was larger than the stove I purchased.  I cut a patch out of marine plywood to fit in the hole that was left.  I supported it from the bottom.  I decided to make a stainless counter top to cover the patch over the extra space.

I cut out a template out of cardboard to get the size and stove cutout right.


Then with my trusty grinder, I cut the thin stainless.


I thought the corners would be a problem.


But they are covered by the stove top, so I was able to cut them straight.


I should have drilled the stainless at home on my drill press, but I have a strong preference for doing things the hard way.  I broke 3 cobalt bits, but in the end, it worked out.


The end result came out pretty good.  And it covered the patch nicely.


Next, I wanted to add some cupboard doors.  I'm really not a fan of the way teak looks, so I decided to do something in plywood.  I used 1/4 baltic birch.  I cut out a frame, then made some doors to go on it.  I primed everything with a oil based stain remover, then Mrs. T painted the top with an acrylic blue.  This is a water based paint, so I'm not sure how this will go.  Then we put a couple of coats of water based polyurethane.  Time will tell how it lasts...

Anyway, this is me drilling some vent holes in the door after priming, but before painting.



I'm pretty happy with the results.  I hope it lasts!


Since we were doing the doors, we decided to repaint some of the teak trim.  I made some new trim for above along the seam of the boat.  It runs from aft to just past the backrests into the bilge area.







No comments:

Post a Comment