Friday, January 27, 2017

Electrical

With the weather turning to absolute crap, I decided it might be a good time to do some work on the inside of the boat where it's slightly dryer.  I had a strip of waterproof LEDs that I wanted to use as cabin lights.

The plan was to run the LED strip just on the inside of the grove where the poptop sits on the port and starboard sides, then connect the two strips with wire.  The strips are adhesive backed, but clearly that won't stay stuck, so I had to find some cable holders.  I started out with round style ones meant for HDMI or thicker cable.  The don't hold the strip tight, but they keep them up.



Since these LEDs are tricoloured, there are 5 wires that have to run between them.  When I got to the bow, I ran the wires inside some tubing I got, hoping that would give it a cleaner look, but the tubing came in a roll, and you can still see the effects of that.  


Then of course I ran the strip down the other side.


Here you can see the new panel I put in last year.  I wired the strip into a switch, just to get some light going so I could work at night.



I'm really not thrilled with the results.  The v berth is still quite dark.  I will eventually connect the light strip to some better controls so I can change the light colours, and perhaps run an LED ring to the front as well.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment