Friday, October 24, 2014

Winter is coming!


Finally back from Cambodia!  While it may have been warm and sunny there, winter is approaching here in Vancouver.  We've been taking a few steps to ensure that the boat remains high and dry (mostly dry).

We've put a boom tent up.  This presented a few problems for us.  Mostly, the issue is that we have no way to hang our boom off the backstay.  Normally, the boom is supported only by the sail and the fiberglass boom kicker.  However since we obviously don't have the sail up, most of the weight is on the boom kicker.  We decided to temporarily use the main halyard to hold up the back of the boom, so we can put the tarp up.  


This setup bugs me for a couple of reasons.  First, when the boom kicker is attached, the poptop for the hatch won't go up.  The boom kicker gets in the way.  Secondly, main halyard is rubbing against the rigging about mid way up the mast, and I worry about the rope.

So perhaps this weekend, we'll try to find a way to hang the boom of the backstay, like I've seen on other boats like this gentleman's.  Note the small metal hook on the backstay.  From what I've read, the boom should be hung at a slightly less then level position to let the water run out.  I'm assuming this line would be removed when at sail so it doesn't get in the way.



I've read a bit about how some boats have topping lifts that do exactly that.  They seem to attach the boom to a line that runs over the top of the mast, but ours has no such thing.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to the guy in pic. I have no idea who you are, but the rigging in the background has come in handy!

    ReplyDelete