Sunday, November 2, 2014

Weekend Warriors

What a weekend!  We got a lot done on the boat this weekend.  In point form:

1) First, the boat was look rather... well, green I guess.  We hit it hard with the scrub brush and (sea-friendly) soap.  We managed to get a lot more barnacles off the bottom, but it just emphasized how important it is that we get her out of the water as soon as possible to get the bottom sorted out.  Most of the green algae came off with a little elbow grease.  Definitely the biggest accomplishment.  We'll see how long before the green returns.


2) We disinfected the water tank.  This was something that I'd wanted to do for a while.  I took a look at the tank.  At first we tried to fill it using the fill cap on the sink, but after it backed up on us, I took a closer look under neath.  It seems like the hose is a little thin, and had a low spot in it where the water would pool.  Eventually, we just pulled the tank completely out and flushed it on shore.  Eventually I'll replace the three feet of hose with something more suitable.



3) We hung the boom.  We made another trip to Steveston Maria and picked up an teardrop metal rope thimble, a bit of small diameter rope and two stainless ubolts.  We ran the rope over the eyelet to create a loop, and we ubolted it to the backstay.  Then we took the rest of the rope, and tied carabiners on each end.  Then we clipped it to the boom, and to our new loop.  It looks a bit ghetto, but it works fine.  If I see a better way to do it, I may change it in the future.

4) We cleaned and rinsed the gas tanks.  We poured all the fouled gas into on jug (apparently, you can only recycle gas if you give them the jug as well), then rinsed out the gas tank, and the remaining cans with gas.  We then also poured this into the 'bad gas' can.  We'll have to pick up another gas can at some point, but they're cheap.


5) Electical!  Lot's of work here.  This probably needs a post of it's own.  The short version is that we bought a new panel (similar to the one I looked at over at Steveston Marine), and I'm in the middle of wiring it up.

6) Also, we bought another boat!  A small inflatable dingy from someone that was selling it for (VERY) cheap down at the marina.  Not sure what we'll do with it, but for now, it makes a good bumper.



No comments:

Post a Comment